Identification & Verification
- When unable to complete electronic verification, we must identify the client from documents which confirm their identity and where they live.
- FCA registered firms must ensure that documentation relied upon to verify aspects of a client's identity is copied and retained.
- We reserve the right to request copies of identity documents seen for testing purposes.
Two separate documents must be provided to verify the client's name, residential address and date of birth.
Documents must be originals and can only be used once throughout the whole process; i.e. used once for either address verification or for identification.
For Non UK/EEA nationals the only acceptable identification documents are passport with valid visa or biometric residence permit.
|UK/EU/EEA/Switzerland Passport (Non UK/EEA Passports must include a valid UK Visa)||Yes||No|
|UK Driving Licence||Yes||Yes|
|EU/EEA/Switzerland Identity Card (must show photograph and signature)||Yes||No|
|EU/EEA Driving Licence||Yes||No|
|Northern Ireland Voters Card||Yes||No|
|Biometric Residence Permit (must be valid for a minimum of 12 months)||Yes||No|
|EU or UK Bank, Building Society, or Credit Union Statement *||No||Yes|
|UK Credit Card Statement *||No||Yes|
|Mortgage Statement *||No||Yes|
|UK Benefits/State Pension Notification Letter||Yes||Yes|
|Blue Disabled Driver's Pass (UK only)||Yes||No|
|HM Revenue & Customs Correspondence e.g. statement of account or correspondence relating to self-assessment||No||Yes|
|HM Revenue & Customs Tax Notification - Notice of Coding or Annual Statement – these cannot be used for ID if another HMRC correspondence has been used for address verification||Yes||No|
|Allocation of National Insurance Number from Job Centre Plus/Department of Work & Pensions Letter||No||Yes|
|Local Authority Tax Bill||No||Yes|
|Local Council Rent Card/Statement||No||Yes|
Utility Bill or a Certificate/Letter from a Supplier of Utilities*
Excluding the following:
|Young Scot Card – age restrictions apply – can only be used for applications for customers aged 18-26 years old||Yes||No|
*A printed copy of an online statement can only be used as address verification with one of the following:
- UK/EU/EEA Passport
- UK Full Driving Licence
- HMRC Tax Notification (notice of coding or annual statement only and must be original document sent by post).
How to certify a document
All ID documents must have the following present to satisfy certification requirements. This must be recorded by the FCA Registered Mortgage Intermediary:
- Name of the certifier;
- Title of the certifier - title is defined as describing someone’s position or job;
- Signature of the certifier;
- Date of certification, which must not be older than 3 months at the time of the application and;
- Written confirmation from the certifier stating "I hereby certify that this is a true and correct copy of the original document as sighted by me" (suggested text / variations are acceptable).