External Wall System (EWS1) process
The EWS1 process, and resulting form, is a standardised way for a building owner to confirm that an external wall system (cladding/balconies) on multi-occupied residential buildings has been assessed for fire safety by a suitable expert.
Valuers will request the form if there are specific concerns with the materials used, in line with the latest RICS guidance.
An EWS1 form must be signed by an appropriately qualified individual following a full fire safety review. It must be accompanied with a letterhead addressed to the building owner and signed by the qualified fire safety expert who completed the form.
EWS1 Form: Option A
TSB will accept full members (not a graduate or affiliate) of one of the following professional bodies completing Option A of the form:
- Architects Registration Board (ARB)
- Association of Consultant Approved Inspectors (ACAI)
- Chartered Association of Building Engineers (CABE)
- Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT)
- Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB)
- Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE)
- Construction Industry Council Approved Inspectors Register (CICAIR)
- Institute of Clerks of Works and Construction Inspectorate (ICWCI)
- Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE)
- Institution of Fire Engineers (IFE)
- Institute of Fire Safety Managers (IFSM)
- Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE)
- Local Authority Building Control (LABC)
- Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA)
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
- Society of Façade Engineers (SFE)
EWS1 Form: Option B
TSB will accept the form with Option B completed by an individual that is a Chartered or Incorporated Engineer (CEng or IEng) with full membership with the IFE (MIFireE or FIFireE).
Following validation checks, TSB will accept EWS1 forms with the following outcomes: