A maximum of 4 unrelated occupiers/ tenants in England & Wales, 3 in Scotland per AST.
- An AST (assured shorthold tenancy) under the Housing Act 1988 is required in England & Wales.
- In Scotland, a PRT (Private Residential Tenancy) is required.
A maximum 12 months' tenancy term is acceptable for cases in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
The following types of tenancies are not acceptable:
- Multiple tenancies where each tenant signs a separate agreement and/or has separate facilities.
- Rent Act protected tenants or an agent of these.
- A tenant or anyone else who lives at the property who has diplomatic immunity.