Identification & Verification
- When unable to complete electronic verification, we must identify the client from documents which confirm their identity and where they live.
- FCA registered firms must ensure that documentation relied upon to verify aspects of a client's identity is copied and retained.
- We reserve the right to request copies of identity documents seen for testing purposes.
Two separate documents must be provided to verify the client's name, residential address and date of birth.
Documents must be originals and can only be used once throughout the whole process; i.e. used once for either address verification or for identification.
For Non UK/EEA nationals the only acceptable identification documents are passport with valid visa or biometric residence permit.
|EU/EEA Driving Licence||Yes||No|
|EU/EEA Identity Card||Yes||No|
|Northern Ireland Voters Card||Yes||No|
|UK and Non UK Passport||Yes||No|
|UK Driving Licence||Yes||Yes|
|Biometric Residence Permit||Yes||No|
|Bank, Building Society or Credit Union Statement||No||Yes|
|Benefits/State Pension Notification Letter||Yes||Yes|
|Blue Disabled Driver's Pass||Yes||No|
|HM Revenue & Customs Correspondence||No||Yes|
|HM Revenue & Customs Tax Notification||Yes||Yes|
|Allocation of National Insurance Number from Job Centre Plus Letter||No||Yes|
|Local Authority Tax Bill||No||Yes|
|Local Council Rent Card/Statement||No||Yes|
|Utility Bill/ Utility Statement or a certificate/Letter from a Supplier of Utilities (excluding water bills)||No||Yes|
|Young Scot Card||Yes||No|
How to certify a document
All ID documents must have the following present to satisfy certification requirements. This must be recorded by the FCA Registered Mortgage Intermediary:
- Name of the certifier;
- Signature of the certifier;
- Date of certification, which must not be older than 3 months at the time of the application and;
- Written confirmation from the certifier stating "I hereby certify that this is a true and correct copy of the original document as sighted by me" (suggested text / variations are acceptable).