A maximum of 5 unrelated occupiers/tenants is allowed.
- An AST (assured shorthold tenancy) under the Housing Act 1988 will be required.
- If the total rental is in excess of £100,000 an AT (assured tenancy) is required.
- In Scotland a Private Rented Tenancy (PRT) is required.
A maximum 12 months' tenancy term is acceptable for cases in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
The following types of tenancies are not acceptable:
- Multiple tenancies where each tenant signs a separate agreement and/or has separate facilities.
- Rent Act protected tenants or an agent of these.
- A tenant or anyone else who lives at the property who has diplomatic immunity.